The expiry of .XXX Sunrise B blocks are slated to take place on December 1, after 10-years of preventing unwanted registrations across the adult domain extensions of .XXX, .SEX, .PORN and .ADULT for brand owners. This means that brands who are using Sunrise B blocked registrations to protect trademarks in these adult-oriented extensions will need to transition to the protection programs of AdultBlock or AdultBlock+ to keep their trademarks from being registered by other parties come December 2021 and beyond.
What is AdultBlock and AdultBlock+?
A little over two years ago, MMX registry (the operators of .XXX, .SEX, .PORN and .ADULT, who took over from ICM registry) launched AdultBlock, a domain protection program to help brands prevent or “block” their trademarks from being registered across four core adult domain extensions.
With the sunset of the Sunrise B protection trademark blocking program this December, brands must now decide whether to enroll in AdultBlock to keep their trademarks and IP safeguarded from being registered by other parties across these four key adult-oriented TLDs.
Brands currently using Sunrise B that transition to AdultBlock services ahead of December 1 will benefit from a streamlined process that requires no additional verification steps, allowing them to enjoy uninterrupted domain protection for up to an additional 10-years or 2031. Enrollment however, can take place after December 2, but will require some additional steps.
AdultBlock – Key Considerations for Brand Owners
Companies with expiring Sunrise B domains will need to assess the following, making decisions on how to proceed ahead before December 2021:
- What are the potential risks to non-protected trademarks?
- Which currently blocked trademarks and brands do they want to transition to AdultBlock services, as well as any other trademarks that might not yet be covered?
- What level of brand protection is right for my trademarks: AdultBlock or AdultBlock+?
- What are the differences in coverage between AdultBlock and AdultBlock+ (eg., differences coverage for IDNs, variants, homoglyphs, etc.)
- Length of term (1, 3, 5, or 10 years)?
- Timelines, requirements, and the process for transitioning to and/or enrolling in AdultBlock
Answers to your AdultBlock Questions – Webinar, Tuesday, Nov 23, 2021 10:00 AM PT | 1:00 PM ET
To help brand managers, domain managers, and IP professionals make an informed decision about how to proceed with AdultBlock services, our interactive webinar will cover key questions such as:
- What are the potential threats to trademarks that are not enrolled in AdultBlock
- Scope of AdultBlock services, including: brief overview of the expiring SunriseB program; level of protection AdultBlock offers TLDs; difference between AdultBlock and AdultBlock+; trademark requirements for coverage; features overview, pricing, and how it differs from other Domains Protected Marks List services
- How to get started and be covered when the transition takes place on December 1st
The webinar will be co-presented by Webnames Corporate’s Senior Account Manager and Product Manager of TLDs. Can’t make it? Register anyways and you’ll be sent the webinar recording.
Sunrise B and AdultBlock Knowledge Refresher
Don’t want to wait for the webinar? The following resources will help bring you up to speed about AdultBlock services and the transition from Sunrise B.
If you have questions about AdultLock, other domain protection mechanisms, or trademark protection in the domain name space more generally, we invite you to contact us directly to receive a callback from one of our expert account managers who can provide the answers you need to make informed brand protection decisions.
EDIT: We’d like to thank everyone that joined us for the webinar and below is the recording for those that were unable to attend.